The road to safety
One of the most distressing problems that is unique to India is the growing number of fatalities and injuries because of road accidents. On an average, road crashes lead to 1,230 accidents every day and claim 141 lives. These frightening numbers continue to rise at an alarming rate. There are many factors that contribute to this statistics — over speeding, distracted driving, drunk driving, poor road conditions, lack of awareness of traffic rules and regulations, etc. However, enforcing simple yet effective countermeasures can help tackle this problem.
The key to effectively tackling this issue is to create awareness about the various laws and rules of road safety. The Government of India has enforced stricter rules and implemented the Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill, 2019, where penalties for violating traffic rules are severe. You can learn about the amendment in the bill on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
We also share a video we have made that highlights steps that an aware driver would take to safeguard himself and others in case of an accident.
As we celebrate Road Safety Awareness Month, let us remember to do our bit and follow traffic rules.
- Do Not jump traffic signals.
- Always wear a helmet while riding a two-wheeler and seatbelt while driving a four wheeler.
- Do Not drink and drive.
- Do Not use mobile phones while driving.
- Always follow the speed limit.
- Give way to emergency service vehicles.
- In case you witness an accident, be a Good Samaritan and help your fellow citizens.
- Call 1073 to report road accidents.
Road safety goes beyond following the traffic rules. And as responsible drivers, it is important that we are mindful of other potential risks during road accidents.