Switch to a sustainable lifestyle
We are living through some unprecedented times and it’s not just because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Our planet has been in a state of crisis led by the aggressive rise in the global temperature and CO2 emission. With net emission to roughly double by 2040 that will have a catastrophic impact on the ecosystem, it is the need of the hour to create awareness and take immediate action in implementing sustainability practices.
What are these sustainable practices?
Sustainable practices are actions and steps taken to ensure that we consume less energy, have net zero effect on the environment and limit our carbon footprint. There are many ways to do this.
- We can start by taking some simple yet important steps to help conserve energy by turning off electrical and electronic devices, lights and fans, when not in use.
- Since LEDs consume 70-80 % less power than CFLs, replacing old CFLs to LEDs has the potential of lowering the carbon footprint by half and significantly reducing electrical waste.
- Planting more trees is another way to help reduce the CO2 in the atmosphere. Planting trees today will help provide clean air for tomorrow’s generation.
- Reduce your water footprint. Conserve water by turning the tap off while brushing teeth, checking for leaks, using buckets for baths instead of showers etc.
- Adopting the philosophy of “reduce, reuse, repair and recycle” can help in waste management and minimize pollution.
- Choose a sustainable mode of transport like bicycle, electric vehicles or public transport that will limit the CO2 emission from our personal vehicles causing severe air pollution.
- Dispose your electrical waste responsibly at the designated e-waste collection centre. If not mindful of this, toxic elements from e-waste can contaminate the soil and groundwater.
These are just a few ways to adopt a sustainable lifestyle but there is so much more that needs to be done. Watch the video to learn more about sustainable practices.